renewables4africa, your internet portal on renewables in Africa
menu powered by Milonic
log in
You are here: Comments and remarks to Wim Jonker Klunne

news @ renewables4africa

SN Power AfriCA changes name to Agua Imara and announces new project in Zambia

Agua Imara, formerly SN Power AfriCA, has announced the first hydropower projects it will develop under its new name.
The Norwegian Minister of the Environment and International Development Erik Solheim spoke to the attendees of the event and emphasized the importance of companies like Agua Imara for developing countries in the development of highly needed energy and even better clean renewable energy.

Einar Stenstadvold CEO of Aqua Imara and Kjell Roland CEO Norfund and Chairman of Agua Imara both presented their views on the future of Agua Imara and the new projects.

Agua Imara has in May 2011 signed an acquisition Agreement for a 51% shareholding in Lunsemfwa Hydro Power Company Ltd (LHPC), located in the central part of Zambia, near the city of Kabwe. The remaining 49% of the shareholding will be held by the initial shareholders.
LHPC currently owns two hydropower plants, Mulungushi Hydro Power Station and Lunsemfwa Hydro Power Station, with a combined generation capacity of 46.5 MW which will be increased in 2011 to 52.5 MW. LHPC has potential for further development and Agua Imara, together with its Zambian partners, has initiated studies for the further expansion of the company.

LHPC currently owns 50% of Muchinga Power Company (MPC). MPC has the right to develop the projects downstream of the current Lunsemfwa and Mulungushi hydropower plants. These project opportunities have a considerable potential, at least 120 MW and most likely much more. LHPC has the right to increase its ownership in this company to 60%, once the projects are fully financed. LHPC’s partner in MPC is Infraco, a donor-funded infrastructure company.

Mulungushi Power Station (MPS)
MPS comprises a regulation reservoir with two manually controlled intake gates, a canal and a penstock to a surface powerhouse. MPS has been developed in stages, with the first 2 MW unit being installed in 1925 and replaced by a 10.5 MW unit in 2009. Two 6 MW units were added in 1927 and a third unit was installed in 1941. All units are specified as Pelton Wheel. MPS has a total capacity of 28.5 MW.

Lunsemfwa Power Station (LPS)
LPS comprises a reservoir, a canal and a penstock to a surface powerhouse. LPS was constructed in 1945 with two 6 MW units. The power plant was operated as a run-of-river scheme until 1958 when the Mita Hills dam was built. In 1961 an additional 6 MW unit was installed. All units are horizontal Francis. LPS has currently a capacity of 18 MW. A new forth unit of 6 MW is presently on order and will be installed in 2012.

Additional information:
News date: 25/05/2011

To the news index

Comments and remarks to Wim Jonker Klunne

sponsored links

More information on renewables in Africa: wind4africa - hydro4africa - solar4africa - biomass4africa